Monday, October 7, 2013

I'm Back

Well, a lot has happened in the long while that I’ve resisted the urge to update this blog. Got done with my pre-internship at Kenyatta National Hospital (still have to get down there to do some more learning, though), studied a helluva lot for the exam which followed soon after; took the exam, which was an ass-kicking like no other (which could always have gone worse), and now I have to wait 2-4 weeks before I know definitively whether I’ve passed. Woe is me!

Oh, and the weekend before I was to take my exam, this whole Westgate Mall terror incident happened, and in the 8 days that have since passed most people down here in Nairobi are acutely aware of how unsafe things really are. I don’t really know anyone who was ended up being trapped in the mall, but that’s not to say that I can’t empathize with all those who have been personally touched by this latest bit of terrorism. Sad state of affairs indeed!

I’m currently facing a lot of downtime as I await my results..and I’m honestly glad for the opportunity to rest up; however, it’s more like just a rest from the tyranny of things medical, and a chance for me to embark on some side projects. Of utmost importance is the Hyacinth Economy R&D that I’m planning to initiate, phase 1 of which would see me trying to make cardboard and Kraft Paper from the dreaded weed. The notion sounds good in my head and on paper…but practically speaking, I might be a bit out of my league when it comes to the actual hands-on part of ‘paper’ production; which is why I’m trying to get in touch with the folks down at the Kenya Industrial Research & Development Institute (KIRDI) so that they can help me with a bit of the heavy lifting. I just hope they don’t charge me an arm-and-a-leg in the process.
Also hoping to spend some time at the Kenyatta National Hospital so that my brain doesn’t turn to mush in the short break before I get posted to some hospital out here in Kenya. Hoping to get to see more of the hospital this time around, and maybe work on some proposals for some small measures that could be made to help with increasing efficiency around the place.


Anyhow, I hope I can make the most of this time, and keep my procrastination down to a minimum. God help me! 

No comments: