Sunday, September 30, 2018

Trying to Develop a "Green Thumb"

I haven't had much luck with growing plants in the past, so I'm trying to change a few things this year. I enjoy buying up a few new plants for the compound from time to time, but I'd also love to grow something from seed. Despite undergoing a lot of neglect, some Agapanthus that I started growing around March last year is probably big enough for me to transplant. Unfortunately, all the bauhinias that I had planted are no longer with us, but I might just try them once again. They weren't that difficult to tend (truthfully speaking).

This time I'm going for something a little different. I'm setting my sights on growing something exotic. My time at Messiah College exposed me to

  1. Redbud (I still remember the beautiful specimen that sat to the left of the back door to the Jordan Science Centre!). 
  2. Cherry Blossoms: we didn't have many at Messiah, but right in front of the Climenhaga Building there was a beautiful specimen (Yeoshino Cherry, I believe) which some students had given to the school as a gift.
  3. Oaks and Maples 
And then there're inspiration from my Dad's books. Thus, I recently purchased a few seeds online (Redbud, Yulan Magnolia, Japanese Cherry, Crape Myrtle and Creeping Thyme). My very first experiment was with Creeping Thyme, but that didn't work out so well. The seed was so tiny and I sowed about half of it on an embankment close to a fence. In fact, I sowed it over the whole length of the embankment, but it only managed to sprout in one secluded spot.



Creeping Thyme

Creeping Myrtle
Round about the same time, I also tried my hand at planting the Crape Myrtle. I decided to get some planting trays, and even put some potting mix together; unfortunately, it seems like the potting mix is a bit too light, and water drains through it a bit too quickly; in addition, the potting mix is likely to be washed out of the trays. This combination of factors will prove disastrous if I try to have this stuff out in the open to take advantage of the oncoming rains.
Soil Test

Therefore, I'm running a bit of an experiment with regards to finding the right blend of soil-to-potting mix. The soil by itself dries out quickly, and ends up hardening and becoming caked up. It's seems like the sweet spot exists between either a 1:1 blend or perhaps a 1:2 blend.

All this will be necessary very soon, because I am busy preparing for the Redbud, Sakura and Magnolia seeds. I've basically been stratifying them (exposing them to a pseudo-winter) in the confines of my fridge, so I can stimulate them to germinate. By mid-October, I should be ready to plant the Redbud and Magnolia seed. 

Seed Stratification


I really am hoping for something special. At this point, I'm just concerned about getting them to germinate and thrive. I have something special up my sleeve for when they need to be transplanted, but I'll need to have some things come through before that happens.

Anyways, wish me luck!

God Bless

P.S: Finished the "soil test" and the winner came as a surprise to me! The 1:4 (Soil:Potting Mix) was the undisputed winner. The 1:1, which initially showed an much promise, ended up being a groggy mess.

I figured out that it is essential to pre-wet the soil mix before putting it into the seed trays...and that's exactly what I did while sowing some Fountain Grass (pink and green). Lesson learned!

No comments: