Sunday, March 28, 2010

To "fail because of sticking to one's principles" ... (Part II)

Time to finish off what I started.
Well, the details of the incident have been elucidated. I guess in the end I can only ask if all the ruckus was really worth it.

I figure I'm pretty docile most of the time, and I won't pick a (verbal) fight unless I really have to. For one, I've got to be pretty sure of myself before I plunge into anything.

But despite how justified or wronged I may have felt, there's also the need to assess how much of this was driven by pride. Recently the point about Submitting as if unto the Lord...despite circumstances is something I've had to mull over.
Being disconfirmed by the authorities was a definite insult; having to bear the punishment for a lapse not of my own doing, despite proposing an amicable solution was more salt on the wound.

I'd say that above all things, I was making a point for "precedent". Since the batch of students within which I currently find myself is practically a 'pioneer' group, I'm wary of the fact that any measures that are rashly imposed as a stop-gap reaction to our 'flaws' might become the Gold Standard for any future dealings with our issues.

If re-taking that test went as scheduled, we would merely have dealt with the symptoms and not the cause of the malady. And to tell you the truth, I think it was completely hare-brained of someone to steal the easy Preventive Med. paper, when there were far harder exams waiting for us in the wings

I was certain that if someone had stolen that easy paper, then they were bound to try something with the more difficult papers. There was no way I was going to subject myself to having to study twice for something like Pharmacology/Acupuncture/Lab Diagnosis.

At the end of the day, I think it's clearer that anticipating the idiosyncratic behaviour of my fellow students and drafting policy to deal with that is the only way to fix things. I didn't need a whole semester of Preventive Med to know that "Prevention is obviously better than cure".

As for me, I'm just going to lay low. Fielding THREE different sorts of allegations within half a week definitely made my life hell; I'd rather not have anyone expect me to step in to sort things out for a while...I'm keeping my distance.
...But at the end of the day, you'll still find me sticking to my principles; that is unless you can prove me wrong, in which case I'll do the honourable thing and just back down [I'm strong-willed, NOT Pig-headed].

God Bless

No comments: